Friday, February 25, 2011

Running & Relaxing in Bonaire

Snorkeling off of Klein Bonaire
My favorite running route is along the coastal road here
Well, not necessarily in that order.  Val and I just returned from another trip to Bonaire in the southern Caribbean, our favorite vacation spot.  At various times, my dad, a friend of his, my twin brother and his wife, 1 of their kids and a friend of hers, and my older brother and a friend of his were all down for the week.  Bonaire is also my favorite spot to run and to snorkel.  Even though it stays warm there with an average year-round day time temperature of 85, running along a single lane, deserted, elevated road with dramatic dropoffs to the clear blue Caribbean and which winds along the contour of the shore is always one of my rave runs.  Absolutely hard to beat.  The only key is to get out early enough so the sun doesn't bake you too much.  And 2 handhelds won't last you as long as up North!  Although it's a relatively flat island, I did manage to find about a 100 meter hill at 10-12% grade to get in some hill work - which absolutely killed me in that weather.  But did I mention the great views?!  I managed to get in 4 good runs and felt very strong.  Definitely a good place to train - and enjoy.  (I felt the rum and Cuban cigars from the previous night every time I ran.)

No comments:

Post a Comment